Breast Fat Grafting
WHAT IS BREAST FAT GRAFTING ?
Fat transfer may be used in breast reconstruction surgery or breast augmentation when only a small increase in breast size is desired, or in combination with an implant to correct imperfections in shape. The procedure is typically performed by removing fat from one area of the body using low-pressure liposuction, which is washed with saline and then injected into the breasts. This technique often results in a softer, more natural look and feel than breast implants.
ADVANTAGES OF BREAST FAT GRAFTING
- It uses your own tissue instead of an implant.
- Fat is removed from an area where you don’t want it.
- Many women report that their fat-graft-reconstructed breast has some sensation and feels soft, much like the other unreconstructed breast.
- On the day of the procedure, we will mark the areas where fat will be removed and injected.
- Depending on whether any other procedures are being performed at the same time, you may receive general anesthesia, local sedation, or local anesthesia.
- A fluid will be injected into the area of the body to be treated with liposuction to make it easier to remove fat cells and lessen bleeding.
- Liposuction will then be used to remove fat through a suction device. Once removed, fat cells will be isolated, cleansed, and prepared for injection.
- Through a series of injections, fat will be added to the breast until the desired volume is achieved.
- After the procedure, the areas of the body treated will be covered in a compression garment and bandages to help minimize swelling and provide support during the healing process.
- You’ll typically return home on the day of the procedure with instructions.
- After returning home, you’ll wear your support garment around the clock and take any prescribed medications for pain and to prevent infection.
- We will advise you to take it easy during the initial healing process. While pain typically subsides within the first week, you may have soreness, bruising, and swelling for a few weeks in the areas treated with liposuction. Your doctor will advise you on when to resume normal activity and exercise.
THE BEST CANDIDATE FOR BREAST FAT GRAFTING
- Physically healthy
- Not pregnant or breastfeeding
- Expectations are realistic
- Understand the risks that come along with the procedure
- Want a small increase in breast volume
- Have excess fat in other areas of the body some women are too thin for the procedure
- Otherwise happy with breast shape and skin tone (for example, some women have breasts with too much sagging, which fat grafting alone cannot address)