The Chemical Peel is the technique used to improve the appearance of the skin on the face neck, hand and legs .The new regenerated skin is usually smoother and less wrinkled than old skin. Skin peeling on the fingertips can also be accompanied by other skin problems, such as a rash, itchiness or dryness.
Mechanism Of Skin Peeling
They exfoliate the damaged skin quickly and encourage healthier new skin to return. They can act on the melanocyte to decrease melanin production or on the sebaceous gland to decrease oil production. Peels used for anti aging have an antioxidant action and a stimulating effect on dermal collagen.
What Is Chemical or Skin Peeling Procedure?
It doesn’t require admission or overnight stay. Chemical peeling is painless procedure. The area to be created is first cleansed and then the peel solution is applied on the skin. A sight tingling sensation is expected. Then the peel solution is removed and cleansed with cleansing solution .This session are repeated once in a month. For getting desired result 4 to 5 sessions are required.
The need for priming:
Priming the skin before peel:
The need for priming.
- It ensures better and uniform penetration of the agent by decreasing oiliness.
- Reduces the healing phase time.
- Reduces chances of complications.
Uses Of Chemical Peel
- It reduce fine line under the eyes and around mouth.
- It is helpful to decrease sun damaged skin by giving rejuvenating effect.
- It improve the appearance.
- It is useful in treatment of acne which are resistant to usual routine therapy.
- Reduce age spot, freckles, dark patches over nose and cheeks (melasma).
- Helps in rejuvenation of skin with increase in production of collagen. This skin looks and feels young.
After Care Of Chemical Peel
After chemical peel skin might get temporarily more sensitive to sun, so wear sunscreen every day. It protect against the suns UV-A and UV-B ryes(Above SPF 30). Limit your timing in sun especially in the hours of 10 am to 2 pm. And wear hat.
What To Expect After Chemical Peel
It depends upon the type of chemical peel. After peel reaction similar to sunburn is observed. Peeling involves redness followed by scaling that ends within three to seven days.
Chemical peeling is one the most commonly performed procedure in skin aesthetics practice. Chemical peel is simple and safe office prosier where the physician causes a control the chemical wounding of the skin. Peels helps to tackle pigmentation to by removing upper level of damaged skin to reveal flawless and glowing skin.
Agents Used For Skin Peeling
- Salicylic acid
- Glycolic acid, salicylic acid
- Trichloroacetic acid
- Lactic acid
- Yellow peel
- Mandelic acid
- Kojic acid
- Ferulic acid
- Azelaic acid
Classification Of Chemical Peels
1. Mild peels:- A series of mild chemical peels on the face, neck and chest every few weeks is great for busy people, because they get signification results with minimal down time. The weaker peels are the AHA peels or fruit acid peels, most commonly glycolic acid, citric acid and lactic acid and can heat improve acne scars, skin tone and texture, diminish fine lines and wrinkles, and reduce the effect of sun damage. A series of mild of super facial peels if often needed for optimal results.
2. Medium strength peels use some of the same acids in mild peels, just at a much higher level for percentage. Triechloroacetric acid peels when used at more than 25 % are medium strength. These peels are deeper, your skin will be red and swollen after application. Your skin crusts and peels off in 1 to 2 weeks. Medium depth peels such as 35 % triechloroacetric 50%, Glycolic acid 35 % to 50 % and jesssner to remedy hyper pigmentation and moderate wrinkles.
3. Deep strength chemical peel. This contains peel such as phenol peel 80%. This peel reaches to deeper skin layer thus these peels are rarely used for Indian skin as it caused more damage and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.