Breast implants are medical devices that are implanted under the breast tissue or under the chest muscle to increase(augment) breast size or to rebuild(reconstruct) breast tissue after mastectomy or other damage to the breast. Breast augmentation surgery can increase the fullness and projection of your breasts and improve the balance of your figure, enhancing your self-image and self-confidence.
Breast Augmentation Candidates
- You are physically healthy.
- You have realistic expectations.
- Your breasts are fully developed.
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too small.
- You are dissatisfied with your breasts losing shape and volume after pregnancy, after weight loss or with aging.
- You are unhappy with the upper part of your breast appearing “empty.”
- Your breasts are asymmetrical.
- One or both breasts failed to develop normally or have an elongated shape.
Types of Breast Implant
Silicone Breast Implants
These are FDA-approved for breast augmentation in women. Silicone implants are filled with a silicone gel that feels a bit more like natural breast tissue. If the implant leaks, the gel may remain within the implant shell or escape into the breast implant pocket, but the implant will not collapse.
Fat transfer breast augmentation uses Liposuction to take fat from other parts of the body and inject it into the breasts. This is an option for women who are looking for a relatively small increase in breast size and would prefer natural results. Your doctor may have you use a Tissue Expansion System during the weeks before your surgery to improve results. You may require touch-up injections to retain your improved shape. Certain risks are associated with this breast augmentation technique.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
A post-surgical breast augmentation recovery period of 24 to 48 hours and an additional reduced-activity period of a few days, you will likely experience soreness and swelling for a few weeks.
You may be permitted to go home after a few hours. Before leaving, you will be given specific instructions. Be sure to carefully follow all instructions, which may include the following:
- How to care for your breasts following surgery?
- Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing.
- Reduce the risk of infection.
- When to follow-up with your Doctor?
Breast Augmentation Results
Breast augmentation surgery results are immediately visible. Over time, post-surgical swelling will subside and incision lines will fade. Satisfaction with your new image should continue to grow as you fully recover from surgery.
In order to achieve optimal breast augmentation results, it is important that you follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions and return for follow-up visits.